Ushering in a New Year and a New Era of Mechanized Irrigation
Dec 28, 2020
by Gustavo Oberto, president of global irrigation
“This year just needs to be over.”
It’s a sentiment I’ve heard a lot this year and, at times, I’ve felt that way, too. From the global pandemic to extreme weather conditions and tightening margins, it’s been a challenging year for all of us.
However, as industry leaders, we believe that from every challenge comes an opportunity. So, as 2020 comes to a close, I would like to share some of the amazing things our teams - working on six continents - accomplished during this unprecedented year.
- As COVID-19 began to spread, we mobilized quickly to prioritize the health and well-being of our employees and find new ways to survive and thrive in a virtual world. Working under unprecedented circumstances, our outstanding employees continued to engage with growers, gather critical customer input, beta test new innovations and deliver on our support and customer service promises.
- During a special event in November, we unveiled the world’s first smart pivot - a groundbreaking innovation that will change the way growers - and the industry - look at and use center pivots. Moving beyond traditional water application, the smart pivot combines advanced agronomic capabilities with state-of-the-art machine health features to provide real-time, 360-degree crop health and operational support throughout the growing season. It truly is the pivot of the future!
- This year, we also launched FieldNET with WaterTrendSM - a powerful, new feature that delivers critical crop water usage insights to aid in effective and efficient irrigation decision making. Available globally to subscribers for FieldNET-equipped center pivots, it requires no additional subscription or equipment.
- With the introduction of our new poly-lined pipe, growers have a new best-in-class solution for irrigation in corrosive water environments. True to Zimmatic’s brand promise of irrigation efficiency and rugged durability, this pipe is designed for the harshest growing environments.
- We welcomed Net Irrigate employees and customers into the Lindsay family. With the acquisition of this ag tech company, we furthered our mutual goals of delivering innovative, real-world solutions to help growers increase water and energy, while exercising more sustainable farming practices.
- We proudly accepted another AE50 Award - this time for FieldNET Pivot Watch™, our ultra-low-cost, DIY remote monitoring solution. Presented by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, the award recognizes the year’s most innovative designs in engineering products or systems for the food and agriculture industries.
- We also began selling FieldNET Pivot Watch on Amazon in the U.S. and Canada—the only Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) selling this type of solution on Amazon – connecting new customers with the power of FieldNET and top-notch Zimmatic dealer support.
I’m proud of these and other accomplishments, and I applaud our employees for their customer-first innovation and unwavering dedication to our mission to help growers around the world produce more with less.
As we move into a new year, we do so with optimism and our continued commitment to help you make the most of every drop of water you use, while protecting the land for your children and grandchildren.
From all of us at Lindsay, best wishes for a happy holiday and a safe, healthy and prosperous New Year.