Celebrating the Past While Looking Toward the Future
May 1, 2019
Whether it’s driverless tractors, drones or smart irrigation – precision technology is helping growers around the world produce more with less.
“We’ve always been at the forefront of innovation – particularly when it comes to precision irrigation management,” said Brian Magnusson, vice president of technology and innovation at Lindsay Corporation. “Advances in computerized irrigation began taking shape in the 1990’s. We were first to market with technology that allowed off-site monitoring and system control, which paved the way for FieldNET® – our integrated, full control, cloud-based irrigation management tool.
Since its launch in 2007, we have continuously enhanced FieldNET’s features and extended its capabilities to more growers around the world.”
Enhancements added in the 2010s include:
- FieldNET Mobile App – With the mobile app, we put remote irrigation management in the palm of a grower’s hand. Developed for Apple and Android devices, the mobile app allows users to monitor and control their systems from virtually anywhere.
- Pumps and Sensors – Advanced capabilities that allowed remote monitoring and control of pumps, soil moisture probes and weather stations were integrated into the platform.
- Pivot Control – This award-winning technology retrofits existing pivots of almost any brand with FieldNET technology – giving growers full control of pivots, pumps and injectors.
- Multi-Control – Another award-winning advancement gives growers the ability to monitor and control entire drip and micro-irrigation systems.
- Precision VRI – With FieldNET, growers can customize water application and manage variable rate irrigation remotely.
- Pivot Control Lite – An end-of-pivot mounted controller that trades some of FieldNET’s control capabilities, like remote start and remote pump operation, to provide a lower cost option.
- FieldNET Advisor – The industry’s first technology that helps growers decide precisely when, where and how much to irrigate. FieldNET Advisor delivers continuously updated, science-based recommendations that are customized for each field – saving growers time, money, water and other inputs.
- Pivot Watch – With a budget-friendly price point and DIY installation, Pivot Watch makes the efficiency of remote irrigation monitoring more accessible than ever before.
“We know that precision irrigation management tools play an increasingly important role today’s smart farms, so we are accelerating our leadership in this area,” Magnusson said. “We will continue to innovate and take advantage of opportunities that will help our customers harness the power of technology that’s driving the future of farming.”
This is the seventh in a series celebrating the history of Lindsay Corporation and the fiftieth anniversary of the first Zimmatic center pivot. Previous posts are available at:
- Zimmatic Pivot Number One - 50 Years Strong
- Early Design Laid the Foundation for Innovation
- Early Innovations Helped Make Pivot Irrigation More Efficient and Affordable
- Early Designs Laid the Foundation for Innovation
- The 2000s – A Decade of Game-Changing Innovations
- Solutions to Help Growers Make the Most of Every Drop of Water